POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : photo-realism test : photo-realism test Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  photo-realism test
From: Tek
Date: 24 Oct 2005 23:55:52
Message: <435dacc8@news.povray.org>
I'm working on something for the current stills topic, and I decided to try
out some techniques for making an image more photographic.

The effects are achieved using a parabolic lens placed in front of the
camera. The effects are:
 1. distortion, hence the horizon not being a straight line. Ordinarily this
would be a bad thing but I think it helps the composition of this image.
 2. dispersion, the slight separation of colours towards the edges of the
lens, achieved using pov's dispersion setting on the lens. This is fairly
subtle in the "elements.jpg" image, but becomes obvious when there's a
high-contrast edges like the checkerboard scene.
 3. focal blur, this was a little tricky since the lens shifted the focal
point, so I messed with the camera's blur settings till I got something
nice.
 4. vignetting, totally faked by just darkening the lens towards the edge.

The blur and dispersion really add a lot to the image, but they're pretty
slow to render. The elements.jpg image took 19h 5m 45s to render at
1600x1200.

So what do you think? does it look like a photo?

Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'elements.jpg' (96 KB) Download 'checks.jpg' (53 KB)

Preview of image 'elements.jpg'
elements.jpg

Preview of image 'checks.jpg'
checks.jpg