POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cars : Re: Cars Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cars
From: Sebastian H
Date: 19 Oct 2005 05:40:56
Message: <435614a8$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>scott spake:
>>

>>>Recently I've been working on converting the 3D models in my current
>>>favourite game to POV format.  The files are stored in some binary
>>>format that is quite complex, and the textures are in .dds format.
>>>Anyway, I've been writing some C++ code to write out a POV file.  As
>>>you can see the geometry is done, but I'm still working on getting
>>>the textures converted automatically.
>>>
>>>This model has ~10k triangles.
>>
>>VERY nice!
>>
>>Beware the lawyers, though...:)
>

> Well the website for the game has "programmers information" for the file
> formats, so I guess they won't mind :-)

There's a legal difference between the data description and the actual
data which makes up the artwork. The former one may be free or open but
the latter one I would handle with care.
E.g. ID-Software published the whole sourcecode for their quake
series games but the for artwork (models, maps, textures) one
still has to pay for.

Sebastian