POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : scaling a PATTERN: using SCALE vs.FREQUENCY : Re: scaling a PATTERN: using SCALE vs.FREQUENCY Server Time
1 Jun 2024 14:10:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: scaling a PATTERN: using SCALE vs.FREQUENCY
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 18 Oct 2005 22:52:06
Message: <4355b4d6$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:
> Uh, my brain is working better now! (I think.)  Of course, SCALE alters
> everything along all axes equally. Wheras FREQUENCY simply sets the number
> of times the set of colors in the color_map is repeated over a "unit
> square," and along only one axis (??). Which IS mentioned in the docs. So
> I'm
> assuming that since scale works along 3 axes and frequency along only 1 (?),
> the "banding" I'm seeing is a result of  this "spatial" difference?  Having
> a bit of a hard time visualizing this, and how the final pattern turns out
> differently.

The color_map is an entirely different thing from the coordinate axes.
It's merely a one-dimensional *DEFINITION* of the color data.  You seem
to be trying to 'force' this color definition dirctly onto the
coordinate dimensions, but it's really a totally different thing.

Scaling, however, IS directly related to the coordinate dimensions, and
as Alain pointed out, the scaling can be different along all three axes.

      -=- Larry -=-