POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : scaling a PATTERN: using SCALE vs.FREQUENCY : Re: scaling a PATTERN: using SCALE vs.FREQUENCY Server Time
27 Jun 2024 14:05:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: scaling a PATTERN: using SCALE vs.FREQUENCY
From: Alain
Date: 18 Oct 2005 17:13:01
Message: <4355655d$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-10-18 16:43:
> I've discovered some odd anomolies when trying to scale several of POV's
> built-in PATTERNS (when used in a PIGMENT block).  Not a bug, really, just
> undocumented(?) behavior.
>
> There are visual differences between scaling a pattern using the recommended
> FREQUENCY modifier vs. the more generic SCALE modifier.   The FREQUENCY
> modifier seems to actually alter the pattern itself, whereas SCALE does
> not.  I.e., SCALE preserves the visual pattern and simply makes it larger
> or smaller, as would be expected. FREQUENCY, however, creates a kind of
> subtle "banding" in addition to scaling (the banding looking similar to a
> perturbed WOOD pattern.)
>
> The patterns that show this are GRANITE, AGATE and BOZO (which leads me to
> believe that this anomoly only shows itself in patterns which use "noise"
> as a generator, and/or TURBULENCE.)
>
> I realize there may be reasons for this behavior, perhaps in how the
> patterns are generated.  But practically speaking, I prefer to use SCALE to
> alter their size, as the pattern appearance is preserved.
>
> However.... this is not a cure-all for the problem in general.  SCALE does
> not seem to work at all on the RADIAL pattern, wheras FREQUENCY does.  And
> conversely, FREQUENCY doesn't work on the CELLS pattern, while SCALE does!
>
> Perhaps a few caveats could be inserted in POV's discussion of FREQUENCY, to
> alert users to this behavior?
>
> Ken

Scale alters the size of the pattern. It can have different values for all 3 axis.
Frequency alters the COLOR_MAP used, making it repeat itself several times as the
pattern's value
goes from 0 to 1.

--
Alain
Jehovah's Witnesses #3: Shit has been prophesied and is imminent; only the righteous