POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : araneus diamentus (heavy wip) : Re: araneus diamentus (heavy wip) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:14:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: araneus diamentus (heavy wip)
From: David El Tom
Date: 16 Oct 2005 12:42:52
Message: <4352830c@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> David El Tom wrote:
>
> An impressive day's work!
>
> Are you doing the uv unwrapping in Wings?  Or where?  Personally I have
> abondoned the Wings autoUV feature and use UVmapper instead.

thanks,

actually I tried to do the uv-unwrapping in Wings3D but failed. I tried
also UVMapper (which I've to run through wine). The results where better
but far from being satisfying. So I grabbed the Blender manual and
looked for uv-mapping. Even so badly described, blender offers a huge
flexibility, cause you can easily manipulate uv's for each face, parts
of a submesh or for the whole mesh.
For example the legs are unwrapped piece-wise cylindricaly, the
resulting uv's are propper arranged and stitched together to give a
rectangular grid. Even so it's very flexible it's still a lot of work
(still not completed yet).

Personally I prefer Wings3D for modelling as it's easy and fast.
Especially I like the sub-divide facility in conjunction with soft
and/or hard edges, a feature I miss in blender (or didn't found it till
now). If you sub-divide in blender and want some hard edges you have to
divide the mesh in several parts, and its likely that you get small
discontinouties at the seams through sub-division.

So the normal way of modelling in my case is starting from scratch in
Wings doing a rough mesh, sub-divide it, reuse it into blender to do
basic texturing uv-unwrapping and rigging (adding bones for posing),
export it, proccess it through some external scripts for hairs and such
things and then start with propper texturing in POVRay.

Orchid XP v2 wrote:
 > Well, it's looking good.
 >
 > The leg joints don't quite look right. And a spider probably shouldn't
 > be quite that shiny either. But otherwise it looks pretty nice.
 >
 > (Apparently some people don't like spiders. I consider them my allies.)

The idea to model a spider came as found a huge araneus diamentus
(Kreuzspinne) in our garden (see attached photo). I was not really sure
about the joints too. So I googled around and found a scematic (also
attached) of a spider's leg, which I used as template.

... dave

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'spider_photo.jpg' (80 KB) Download 'abb04.jpg' (8 KB)

Preview of image 'spider_photo.jpg'
spider_photo.jpg

Preview of image 'abb04.jpg'
abb04.jpg