POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Can you tell what it is yet? : Re: Can you tell what it is yet? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can you tell what it is yet?
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 15 Oct 2005 18:23:35
Message: <43518167$1@news.povray.org>
Anton Sherwood wrote:
>> Larry Hudson wrote:
>>
>>> No, it's not a resonnance.  The way I've heard the two tides
>>> explained is that the ocean is raised by the moon's gravity on that
>>> side of the earth, but it also pulls the _earth_ away from the water
>>> on the far side.
>

> Darren New wrote:
>
>> Um, not really.
>

> I don't see why not.
>
>> Tides are caused when any large body orbits a point. Consider two
>> rocks on the moon, one on the ground very close to the Earth, one on
>> the ground on the side we never see.  [snip orbital mechanics]
>

> This does not contradict Larry's version.
>
 > ,,, [much quoting left out] ...

It's not really "my" version, I don't have any expertise on the subject.
  And as I stated in my original post, this was the explanation I had
heard.  It was quite some time ago that I heard this explained, and I
don't recall what the source was (possibly a science program on TV, but
it might have been a book or magazine.  Hmmm, thinking back again, it
probably was TV, because I seem to vaguely recall it being illustrated
with animated pictures.)  However, I did believe it was an authorative
source at the time, and it did sound like a reasonable explanation, so I
accepted it.

But I'm not going to argue about it...    ;-)

      -=- Larry -=-