POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Can you tell what it is yet? : Re: Can you tell what it is yet? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:26:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can you tell what it is yet?
From: Anton Sherwood
Date: 15 Oct 2005 01:56:35
Message: <43509a13$1@news.povray.org>

Darren New wrote:
> Um, not really.

I don't see why not.

> Tides are caused when any large body orbits a point. Consider two rocks
> on the moon, one on the ground very close to the Earth, one on the
> ground on the side we never see.  [snip orbital mechanics]

This does not contradict Larry's version.

> It hasn't anything to do with pulling the centers of planets towards
> or away from anything. It has to do with the fact that from outside
> a system, gravity can be calculated as a point source, but inside
> a system you have to account for distances.

So if the Moon were a point mass Earth would not experience tides?
Bzzt, try again.

Newton showed that a spherically symmetric body - i.e. one whose density
varies only with radius - produces the same g-field (outside its
surface) as a point mass.  I guess what you mean by this "inside a
system" jazz is that the g-field of a less regular body, or group of
bodies, can be considered spherically symmetric from far enough away but
not up close.  (I wonder how far away a space-probe gets before its
navigation can safely treat the Earth-Moon system as a single body.)

--
Anton Sherwood, http://www.ogre.nu/
"How'd ya like to climb this high *without* no mountain?" --Porky Pine