POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Can you tell what it is yet? : Re: Can you tell what it is yet? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can you tell what it is yet?
From: David El Tom
Date: 14 Oct 2005 16:00:58
Message: <43500e7a@news.povray.org>
Rick Measham schrieb:

> (And the gravity on the outside would be horrendous, the gases from the
> sun would kill you, there's not enough matter to make it .. yada yada ..
> great concept for SciFi, and ray tracing, but not real life!)
>
> Cheers!
> Rick Measham

That's another reason why I prefer the idea of a "ringworld" of the
concept of the dysons sphere. Make a rim with walls on both side so that
the atmosphere is kept inside and spin it. Solves at least the problem
of atmosphere distribution and variable gravity which is an inherent
problem of the concept of a spinning hollow sphere. AND you don't need
that much materia to build it. But even Larry Niven (AFAIK a physician
writing SciFi) had to introduce some sort of hyperdense material so that
this small hull want fly apart.

... dave