POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : (seed) could use a better explanation : Re: (seed) could use a better explanation Server Time
29 Apr 2024 04:38:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (seed) could use a better explanation
From: Warp
Date: 11 Oct 2005 04:57:26
Message: <434b7e76@news.povray.org>
Kenneth <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Oh...one other TINY little question, mostly out of curiosity: What is the
> "length" of the integer value that can be placed into SEED?  That is, how
> many digits long?  Did I overlook that in the docs somewhere? From Warp's
> discussion, I *suspect* it is 32, but that's a guess. Curious minds want to
> know!  ; - )

  A 32-bit number, which can represent 2^32 different values, contains
32 *binary* digits (ie. 0 or 1).
  In decimal the maximum value of a 32-bit number is 4294967295 (10 digits).

  If you give seed() a larger number it will probably just get truncated
(IOW the number modulo 4294967296 will be used).

--
                                                          - Warp