POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : swimming with the fishies : Re: swimming with the fishies Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: swimming with the fishies
From: Jim Charter
Date: 8 Oct 2005 10:45:58
Message: <4347dba6$1@news.povray.org>
gonzo wrote:
> Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
>
>>twenty-something hours render
>

> Wow! It's starting to look very good!  The flash falloff is much better and
> the remora is an excellent touch for realism.

Thanks Ron.

> Only things that look funny to me now are the normal on the shark's skin is
> too pronounced

I agreed it isn't quite right though I am not quite sure which way to go
with it.  Right now it looks like wet seak skin to me.  It is a bump map
so I can of course reduce the bumo_size.  The texture is created in
Photoshop with custom brushes that I dirived from images of silhouetted
tree branches I believe.  Right now the texture in that strange area of
being closer-than-I've-ever-gotten, but still not "right"  So I cling to
it.  IT's a matter of vision as well as technical I think.

and the water in the background should also have a light
> falloff with depth; the bottom of the picture should be a lot darker than
> the top, probably a dark blue-green almost black.

Yes I was playing with some of those effects back when I was
concentrating on the lighting.  It is sort of a matter of balance.
Pictures where you see the media effect have more of an overhead light.
  Pictures with the strob light and severe falloff seem to have a
clearer look with less media and debris coloring the water.  Those
images have more tactility and visual punch it seems to me but loose the
sense of immersion.  I guess I was trying to trade these effects off.
Have it both ways.  Another envisioning issue.  I will have to revisit it.

> Is the water color media? If so, maybe a gradient background behind it or
> maybe even negative lights below and behind.

I was using the gradient at one point but did want to "model" the
lighting in a cleaner way comceptually if I could.  Didn't think of the
negative lights idea

The media is basically this:

sphere {
   hollow