POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Doodle (116KB) : Re: Doodle (116KB) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Doodle (116KB)
From: Rune
Date: 8 Oct 2005 07:31:43
Message: <4347ae1f$1@news.povray.org>
Raf256 wrote:
> Mack Tuesday <web.4346ab76e6623c90526d08610@news.povray.org> Friday
> 07 of October 2005 19:09
>
>> coolmojo.PNG
>
> please name files like: coolmojo.png
>
> advanced operating systems, like linux, recognize upper/lower case,
> and there is no program that opens .PNG (there are programs for .png
> .jpg and so on, though)

So there really exists groups of file extensions with identical letters but
different case, which are associated with completely different file types?

If not, isn't the failure to open a file if the extension is not lowercase
just a stupid limitation of the file system or program rather than an
"advanced feature"?

It's not that I don't recognize the usefulness of having a case-sensitive
file system in general, but I can't understand why extensions aren't
recognized regardless of case despite the case-sensitivity.

For the record, I've *never* heard before that file extensions should be
lower case. It also doesn't seem to be mentioned at all at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_extension

Followup-to povray.off-topic

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com