POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : swimming with the fishies : Re: swimming with the fishies Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: swimming with the fishies
From: Jim Charter
Date: 7 Oct 2005 15:56:16
Message: <4346d2e0@news.povray.org>
Marc Jacquier wrote:

>>twenty-something hours render
>

> Sorry can't swim with you, I am salt-forbidden ;-)

Salt-forbidden???

> Wait! did you model all those fishes? even the big one? didn't it swallow
> your mouse?
> Great!!!
>
> Marc

Thanks Marc.

The shark is modeled entirely in Wings.  So are the remora. The obvious
way to do the fish would have been to model them also in Wings and use
the magnets feature to create and save off a dozen or so swimming
postures then apply them randomly in the fish school.  But alas I took
on the challenge of generating the fishies within SDL.  They are created
in mesh based on splines all derived from a sort of axial backbone
spline which is bent randomly.  A dozen random instances of the fish are
created and stored then instanced randomly.  I also calculated the UV's
and generated a crude template for painting the image and bump maps.
There is also a image pattern map used to get the transparency of the
fins. However the model is still to crude to sustain much of a closeup.