POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : STOPPING a render does not "release" computer : Re: STOPPING a render does not "release" computer Server Time
28 Jun 2024 21:12:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: STOPPING a render does not "release" computer
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Oct 2005 16:07:48
Message: <43443294$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I don't know of any operating system which could not automatically free
> the memory used by a process when the process terminates.

The original AmigaOS. Verix. Probably many embedded OSes.

It's more that the OSes are "multi-user" than they are "C-based". You
have to clean up, or you risk disrupting other apps.

But it's true that Win98 recovers most resources after you kill a
process. Certainly it doesn't leak any more memory than it normally
would. ;-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
    Neither rocks nor slush nor salted rims