POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : STOPPING a render does not "release" computer : Re: STOPPING a render does not "release" computer Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:50:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: STOPPING a render does not "release" computer
From: Warp
Date: 5 Oct 2005 15:53:13
Message: <43442f28@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> True if you run windows NT, 2000 or XP, also if using any Linux distro. FALSE if you
use Win 95, 98,
> SE or ME! Win 9x memory management just suck.

  I don't know of any operating system which could not automatically free
the memory used by a process when the process terminates.

  You see, programs have a heap where memory blocks are allocated. The program
asks the OS to grow the heap when it needs more memory. The OS naturally
knows where the heap of the process is and how big it is. When the process
terminates it just frees this heap.

  Programs have no way of "allocating" any memory bypassing the OS. That
would just cause a segmentation fault (this is enforced by the CPU).

--
                                                          - Warp