POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Seashore (wip) : Re: Seashore (wip) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:11:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seashore (wip)
From: David El Tom
Date: 28 Sep 2005 09:29:11
Message: <433a9aa7$1@news.povray.org>
Paolo Gibellini wrote:
> Ok, this is one test of blur averaging the normals.
> Rendering becomes sloooow, and my test are made with not much normals, but
> the result is interesting.
> This weekend I will end the test and post sources.
> Bye,
> ;-)
> Paolo

excellent ...
the water surface looks much more convincing this time.
AFAIK averaging textures always have the drawback of beeing dammend slow
as you need at least 10 single textures to surpress banding. Everything
over 256 would have no noticeable effect in my opinion (at least with
8bit per channel).
For a given point of the multitextured object POVRay have to run the
whole tracing routine for each single texture. So by averaging 10
textures it takes 10 times as long as with a single texture (of cause
only for the parts in the render where the multitextured object is visible).

... dave