POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Scene From The Shining : Re: Scene From The Shining Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:10:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scene From The Shining
From: Scott David Daniels
Date: 24 Sep 2005 12:23:56
Message: <43357d9c$1@news.povray.org>
Hosiah wrote:
> Well, I followed the suggestions and the results blow me away! Radiosity on,
> hall lights "yellowed". Also tweaked several textures and normals. The
> walls still don't reflect the *exact* same highlight, but they're as close
> as I'm going to get it this pass.
>
> A few notes:
> That's gotta be the most famous carpet pattern in film history! It's very
> distinct, and it was the easiest part of the picture (simple geometric
> lines snapped to guides in Gimp). The carving around the elevators is
> supposed, in the movie, to be Navajo/Apache artwork that's themed
> throughout the hotel.

If you ever get to Portland Oregon, take a side trip to Mount Hood (a
couple of hours ride away).  There you can go into the Timberline Lodge,
and check the whole place out exactly.  It is a wonderful building.  If
you are flush, you can even get a room there and ski essentially any
day of the year (Hood has a chunk of glacier, so snow and skiing (not
necessarily _good_ skiing) is always available at some elevation.  I've
been skiing on the fourth of July, just to say I did so.

--Scott