POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : placing things on mesh object ... : Re: placing things on mesh object ... Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:12:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: placing things on mesh object ...
From: David El Tom
Date: 21 Sep 2005 14:00:06
Message: <43319fa6@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
>>>By the way, ..., memory consumtpion was 1,4 G for this render
>>Well, I won't be rendering it before I upgrade my box to have more
>>memory.  I was going to offer a useful tip to use less memory by
>>dynamically creating the cylinders where you are looking, but I can't
>>think of how you'd do it without patching POV-Ray.
>
> A quick solution might be obtainable with my Surcoat2Hair-Macros. The
> approach I took with the hair was to generate a few mesh-hairs at various
> lengths and oriented around a sphere. When placing a hair, I then "clip" to
> a hair based on the hairs available. Uses little memory (due to the
> mesh-reuse optimization). Might want to look into it, though you'd have to
> adjust the macros to your needs (but I guess you're capable of that if you
> can write your own Perl-Scripts).
>
> You can find the macros in my Downloads section, the link to my homepage is
> in my sig.
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Thanks for the comments and suggestions,

Iknow cylinders are a bad choice to create lots of hair but I've choosen
cylinders just as a test if my script got the normals right and the
number of placed objects to see the limits of my machine (P4@3GHz-1GB,
you can imagine that even my swap of 1GB was nearly exhausted with X/KDE
running). The color was just choosen by convinience and was intended to
be different from the orignal mesh texture to see things better. Take it
as very early WIP. But I was so amazed that it worked, that I posted it
even if I know that right now the picture is far from beeing eye-pleasant.

The roadmap towards a final version is to write a macro to create a
small patch of hairs (and I will for sure take a deep look into your
Surcoat2Hair-Macro, if you allow) which then will be placed. Maybe I
modify the PERL script and store also the uv's for the positions. This
would make it possible to use an uv map and eval_pigment to fine tune
normals at specific regions of the mesh, or just color adjust the hairs
patches.

There is also a quite vivid thread how to only place objects where they
are visible, which I follow with interest.

And if all works as had planned it, I will clean up the PERL sript
enrich it with comments and make it aviable (probably in p.b.utilities).

... dave