POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Prepared 4 company: The ice age cometh! : Re: Prepared 4 company: The ice age cometh! Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:12:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Prepared 4 company: The ice age cometh!
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Sep 2005 08:51:01
Message: <43315735@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> schreef in
bericht news:433145f9$1@news.povray.org...
> > So... what do you think?
>
> I like it! The textures need some work (like some normals) to look
> realistic, but its a great and promising start. Maybe you want to try and
> somehow add some frost to the edges of the windows. This might be a little
> more complicated on the rectangular ones, but for the spherical one you
> could just use a spherical color_map. Some irregular, less transparent
white
> should do the trick.

Thank you Tim!! Indeed, there is still a lot to tweak/change, especially the
textures (not always my strongest point). Still not happy with the walls and
ceiling. I have been putting my thoughts to the glass, because something
should be done there. Still not sure what I want, but I'll come up with
something. I was thinking about adding some cracks in the glass too...

> And I don't get where you want to add the water. In front of the window,
> reflect in onto the ceiling? If you do that, try limiting the surface to a
> small region as possible in order not to shoot photons all over the place
> where you won't see them. If this means that the water is visibile through
> the window, maybe using a two-pass method (gather photons with water, but
> render the final with photons but without the water) would be a good
> approach.

The water plane I think about should be invisible because there is already
the water from the background image. So, it just serves for reflections on
the ceiling. I shall have to experiment a bit. The two-pass method will be
best here I think. Thanks for your warning about the size of the water
plane. That might be essential.

Thomas