POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available. : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available.
From: Slime
Date: 16 Sep 2005 01:10:56
Message: <432a53e0$1@news.povray.org>
> You tweak
> assumed-gamma because that is what you can easily change on a scene by
scene
> basis.

I'm sure a lot of people do this, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear of
someone who had used assumed_gamma properly. For instance, if I had
discovered assumed_gamma one day and decided I should use it, I would have
set assumed_gamma 1.8 (for instance) in all my old scenes (since I had
developed them assuming the viewer had the same gamma my screen did), and
then used assumed_gamma 1 in all my new scenes. If I also set
display_gamma=1.8 in povray.ini, my old scenes wouldn't change, and my new
scenes would be rendered properly for anyone else who had their
display_gamma set.

So what if there are people out there who have done just this? I'm worried
you're removing an important feature because some people use it wrong.

Given the purpose of the feature, and how its meaning is linked to the
scene, I think it would make more sense to remove it entirely than make it a
command-line option. If it's still available, people might still abuse it,
so the only people who suffer are the ones who used it properly in the first
place.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]