POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available. : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:27:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available.
From: Slime
Date: 15 Sep 2005 18:24:13
Message: <4329f48d$1@news.povray.org>
> Essentially this setting and a few
> others should never have been in the scene file for this reason

I don't understand this (for assumed_gamma only).

I do understand that assumed_gamma was never meant to be used for adjusting
the brightness of a scene.

However, I thought its purpose was to let the artist say, "when I made this
image, I assumed the viewer had a gamma of x." That's an important
assumption that affects the appearance of the colors the artist chose. In
that way, it is strongly linked to the scene (and so should be stored in the
scene file).

The only thing that should be able to change when the image is rendered on a
different computer is the display gamma, so that when POV-Ray does its gamma
correction, the render displayed on the screen appears the same as it did to
the artist on his own screen. Allowing the renderer to change the
assumed_gamma - that is, to change an assumption the artist based his colors
off of - will cause the final image to look different.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]