POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available. : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available.
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 15 Sep 2005 17:05:11
Message: <4329e207$1@news.povray.org>
Moving assumed_gamma out of the scene file is going to be a very good thing.
I was glad to read that in changes.txt.

I thought, right away, that the idea is to make it less of an image tweak
and more of a display adjustment like it was intended for. In other words,
it probably got overused or abused where it was. Prior to version 3.6 I was
often unconcerned with what affect I was doing to the scene file and its
render as to any global sense. Global meaning other computers not just
global to a rendered scene.

I must be thinking of MegaPOV about some sort of contrast adjustments on the
scene renders. Seemed like someone here mentioned replacing assumed_gamma
with a way to do that instead, but I don't find anything said of it.

Of course, I realize now, this official change is likely to be only a gamma
code remake and not a feature addition at the same time.