POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available. : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:25:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available.
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 15 Sep 2005 10:32:40
Message: <43298608$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>
>> One question: b9 seems to complain about the assumed_gamma setting in
>> the scene files. I know to look write a lot of scenes requre their own
>> assumed_gamma setting, now it needs to be on the command line?
>

> Yes, and if you really need to play with assumed_gamma, you are actually
> using it for something it isn't supposed to be used for (adjusting the
> brightness of a scene).  There will be other mechanisms for doing that
> eventually (also on the command-line though).

Wow. Glad you made sense of what I wrote (I think I was short on
caffiene at the time ;). Yes, this is what I was using it for, mainly in
radiosity scenes it seems to bring out the shadows a bit more. A better
alternative to this might be something like the tone-mapping patch in
MegaPOV (I don't know if it is technically feasable, given your
explanations of the assumed_gamma issue)

Anyway, I was wondering, becuase it seemed like the assumed_gamma
commandline option wasn't having an effect.

> In case you are wondering why this (and a few other) changes are
> necessary, it has to do with the division of work between the various
> parts inside POV-Ray.  Now that we have a clear structure (in POV-Ray
> 3.7) various logic problems surface that simply did not matter before
> (where everybody was just getting their data where they wanted).
> Essentially this setting and a few others should never have been in the
> scene file for this reason, but nobody noticed back when it was added.
> Over time more patches added things to the global settings that they
> should have been command-line settings as well. So now we clean it us.
> The upside is, this will make developing newer versions of POV-Ray a lot
> easier and faster because the chance to cause a bug by some minor change
> that some other end of the code depends on its a whole lot smaller.

In the end, I think this will be very positive for the program, this
seems to be what is making this such a long beta cycle and breaking so
many things.

--
~Mike

Things! Billions of them!