POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available. : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:26:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available.
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 15 Sep 2005 09:10:52
Message: <432972dc@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> One question: b9 seems to complain about the assumed_gamma setting in
> the scene files. I know to look write a lot of scenes requre their own
> assumed_gamma setting, now it needs to be on the command line?

Yes, and if you really need to play with assumed_gamma, you are actually
using it for something it isn't supposed to be used for (adjusting the
brightness of a scene).  There will be other mechanisms for doing that
eventually (also on the command-line though).

In case you are wondering why this (and a few other) changes are necessary,
it has to do with the division of work between the various parts inside
POV-Ray.  Now that we have a clear structure (in POV-Ray 3.7) various logic
problems surface that simply did not matter before (where everybody was just
getting their data where they wanted).  Essentially this setting and a few
others should never have been in the scene file for this reason, but nobody
noticed back when it was added.  Over time more patches added things to the
global settings that they should have been command-line settings as well.
So now we clean it us.  The upside is, this will make developing newer
versions of POV-Ray a lot easier and faster because the chance to cause a
bug by some minor change that some other end of the code depends on its a
whole lot smaller.

> Since it does require a command line option, enlighten me on what it is?

The same one it used to be in the scene file ;-)

	Thorsten