POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strange light behaviour : Re: Strange light behaviour Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange light behaviour
From: Alain
Date: 6 Sep 2005 19:37:28
Message: <431e2838$1@news.povray.org>
Rick Measham nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-09-06 00:22:
> I'm trying to get radiosity working right (as per post in .General) and
> have included my radiosity settings below.
>
> However the real reason for this post is the strange lighting effect
> that is showing around the architraves in the room shown below.
>
> At first I wondered if there was a tiny gap between the top of the
> architrave and the wall, however there's not. I've made sure the overlap.
>
> What else could be causing this weirdness?
>
> I can provide the full source upon request, but there's a lot as the
> whole house has been built and is getting furnished :)
>
>         radiosity {
>             pretrace_start 0.08
>             pretrace_end   0.04
>             count 85
>
>             nearest_count 5
>             error_bound 1.8
>             recursion_limit 12
>
>             low_error_factor 0.5
>             gray_threshold 0.0
>             minimum_reuse 0.015
>             brightness 1.2
>
>             adc_bailout 0.01/2
>         }

You may have hiden coincident surfaces. If that's the case, the sampling at the corner
can hit
something outside the room. It looks like the reverse of the dark spots problem.
Some things that MAY help:
  - moving the camera a tiny amount up or down
  - varying the pretrace_start value and setting pretrace_end to the start value/a
power of 2
for that I use:
#declare PT = 0.087; // tweak this value, larger or smaler
pretrace_start PT pretrace_end PT/pow(2,2)
That helped me get rid of some artefacts before.

Each will change where the samples are taken relative to the corner.
You may also change your room to a diference of an outside box and an iner box whose
sizes differ by
the thickness of your walls. This may increase the rendering time.

Alain