POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strange light behaviour : Re: Strange light behaviour Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange light behaviour
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 6 Sep 2005 11:43:39
Message: <431db92b@news.povray.org>

431da444@news.povray.org...

> Another idea is a 2-pass method:
>
> Render 1 pass with a large area of high ambient filling the window (just
> outside the window (save the radiosity data with save_file). Then render
> the second pass as-is, but have the radiosity block replaced with just a
> load_file and always_sample off statements.

Another idea, but one that doesn't work in Povray AFAIK but could be
implemented in a patch (I don't think that it's in Megapov) would be to have
no_image objects able to generate radiosity. I've used that in another
software for this exact type of effect (soft radiosity light coming from a
window that doesn't receive enough sky light) and it's really efficient,
particularly as the light-generating object can be kept close to the target
(which seems to reduce artifacts) and still be invisible.

G.