POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Colored Spheres : Re: Colored Spheres Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:14:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colored Spheres
From: Alain
Date: 26 Aug 2005 16:27:22
Message: <430f7b2a$1@news.povray.org>
NumbC nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-08-26 05:33:
> Hi all,
>
> Here's my second image. It's basic, simple stuff to most of you probably;
> four colored glass spheres. Nothing you all haven't seen before. But for
> me it was an exercise and study in the following:
>
> - photons
> - refraction/reflection
> - soft shadows
> - fog
>
> I would like to thank Mike Williams, St and Marc Jacquier for responding so
> quickly to my earlier questions and ofcourse to all of you contributing to
> the POV-Ray newsgroups. I still have a lot to learn and read, but it's all
> been fun so far :)
>
> BTW, anyone knows how I can get a better softer shadow. I think it's too
> pixelated.
>
> Have a fine day,
> NumbC

To get softer shadows: increase the density of the area_light and use adaptive 0
(increase if you
get artefacts)
When using adaptive, the best values are powers of 2 + 1. This is due to the adaptive
subdivision
that try to split the intervals in 2 when needed.
I comonly use 17*17 and 33*33 and you can easily go higher (65*65, 129*129, 257*257).
When using
high values, jitter become more and more useless.
The 4*4 default give you heavy banding and require jitter to get anything acceptable.

Alain