POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Windows (WIP Take 2) : Re: Windows (WIP Take 2) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows (WIP Take 2)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 22 Aug 2005 18:44:09
Message: <430a5539@news.povray.org>
> There seem to be some artifacts on the glass table and the cable of the
> lamp is a bit too thick for my taste. Otherwise - Very good job! Looking
> forward to see this one developing.

I'm not too happy with the thickness of the cable myself, but things like
that only show themselves once you piece the entire image together.

As for the artifacts, that's the refraction at work, bending the rays causes
them to hit brighter parts of the image. Higher res and better antialiasing
on the final run should take care of that. Another trouble with POV-Ray is
the way that colors are clamped only when they are written to disc. In
effect, if a ray encounters a very bright surface (which is inevitable with
the bright light), it saturates the other samples on a pixel. The only
workaround I know of is to render a very high res instead of using
antialiasing, and scale the image down. I wish POV-Ray would have a switch
to set for clamping of samples *before* or *after* averaging them together
during antialiasing...

Regards,
Tim

--