POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Tyrany of Plato : Re: The Tyrany of Plato Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Tyrany of Plato
From: Steven Pigeon
Date: 20 Aug 2005 17:20:51
Message: <43079eb3$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v2 wrote:
>> AMD Athlon x64 4000+, nvidia 4 chipset, 2GB of 400MHz DDR
>> ram. It's my new toy. I've toyed with the setting until I
>> filled RAM without going too much over.
>

> That's a damn fine machine. I was going to get a 4000+ my self - but it
> was, like, 3x the price of most of the rest. :-S
>
> OOC, which OS?

For now, xp x64 pro. Probably won't last. Probably will install
some x64 linux distribution, still haven't decided which. Installing
XP on this box was a quick fix to get it up and working.

> Well, I suppose if you rigure out how much memory 1 photon uses, that
> would tell you what "count" setting to use... (You wanna check how much
> RAM is *free* when you do this.)

No, no, I meant that povray should distribute photons adaptatively on
its own, until it reaches the target memory capacity. As of now,
specifying density is much of guesswork; and count is hard to relate to
density.