POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Tyrany of Plato : Re: The Tyrany of Plato Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Tyrany of Plato
From: Orchid XP v2
Date: 20 Aug 2005 16:49:17
Message: <4307974d$1@news.povray.org>
> AMD Athlon x64 4000+, nvidia 4 chipset, 2GB of 400MHz DDR
> ram. It's my new toy. I've toyed with the setting until I
> filled RAM without going too much over.

That's a damn fine machine. I was going to get a 4000+ my self - but it
was, like, 3x the price of most of the rest. :-S

OOC, which OS?

> I think it might be nice if one could parameterize the
> number of photons using a target memory capacity instead
> of counts or density. Some kind of "shoot me for 1.5GB"
> setting.

Well, I suppose if you rigure out how much memory 1 photon uses, that
would tell you what "count" setting to use... (You wanna check how much
RAM is *free* when you do this.)