POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Doodling Windows (WIP) : The Radiosity-Block Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  The Radiosity-Block
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 19 Aug 2005 18:40:17
Message: <43065fd1@news.povray.org>
First off, thanks to all for the praise, it's nice to get some good feedback
and feel proud to have accomplished something that's worth noting. :-)

As several have voiced questions concerning the rendering-times and the
radiosity-settings, here's the radiosity-block from the global_settings:

  radiosity{
    #if (Save)
      pretrace_start 0.2
      pretrace_end 0.0125
      save_file "windows.rad"
      error_bound 0.1
    #else
      pretrace_start 1
      pretrace_end 1
      load_file "windows.rad"
      error_bound 0.8
    #end
    recursion_limit 2
    minimum_reuse 0.01
    nearest_count 10
    count 900
    brightness 2.0
    always_sample off
  }

I simply #declare Save in the beginning to decide if I'm doing the 1st Pass
(collecting lots of samples and save it) or the 2nd Pass
(combining/averaging several samples by using a higher error_bound).

My PC is a 2.4Ghz Athlon XP running on Win2000 with 768MB DDR-RAM.

The 1st Pass took 13 minutes, but the pretracing went real fast and the
final render took quite long. No glass, backdrops or complex textures used
in that pass, but I kept the floor and the metal parts on the windows
slightly reflective.

The 2nd Pass rendering, with Anti-Aliasing at 800x600 with +am2 +a0.2 +r2
took 15 minutes.

Note that I've described this technique on my website as well, and the
origins of the two-pass render are in these same newsgroups, developed by
various Povers quite some time ago, so I don't claim full responsibility for
the good outcome. :-)

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>