POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Doodling Windows (WIP) : Re: Doodling Windows (WIP) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:24:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Doodling Windows (WIP)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 19 Aug 2005 18:22:41
Message: <43065bb1@news.povray.org>
> Very nice image. I'm currently trying to model our "house to be
constructed
> in the (hopefully) not so far future". Could you tell me how you did the
> two-pass technique? What material do you use for your glass in the window?

The two-pass technique is also described on my website, here:
http://www.nolights.de/projects/radiosity/radiosity.html

Basically, I render the first pass with high pretrace-settings, a high
error_bound (mostly 0.1) and, of course, save_file. In the second pass, I
use load_file to load the radiosity, set error_bound higher (mostly 0.4 or
0.8) and use pretrace_begin and -end at 1.

Here's the radiosity-block for this scene, quite some high settings used:
  radiosity{
    #if (Save)
      pretrace_start 0.2
      pretrace_end 0.0125
      save_file "windows.rad"
      error_bound 0.1
    #else
      pretrace_start 1
      pretrace_end 1
      load_file "windows.rad"
      error_bound 0.8
    #end
    recursion_limit 2
    minimum_reuse 0.01
    nearest_count 10
    count 900
    brightness 2.0
    always_sample off
  }

As for the window, that's a very plain, transparent pigment with some
reflection:
  pigment{rgbt <1,1,1,1>}
  interior{ior 1.55}
  finish{
    reflection{0,1 fresnel exponent .98}
    diffuse 1
    specular 1 roughness .001
  }

Since I'm using radiosity, I've defaulted "ambient" to 0 (using
#default{finish{ambient 0}}).

Regards,
Tim

--