POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Firefox (Mozilla) test (multiple images) : Re: Firefox (Mozilla) test (multiple images) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Firefox (Mozilla) test (multiple images)
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 16 Aug 2005 23:31:55
Message: <4302afab@news.povray.org>
EagleSun wrote:
> Eero Ahonen <aer### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid> wrote:
>

>>Anyway, I'd recommend reading news with Thunderbird or Mozilla Suite.
>>It's fast, easy-to-use and capable :).
>

> Yah... might consider it someday... but I did post from Outlook Express and
> then saw my email address posted with it.... and everyone else who also
> posted using their own email client also has their email posted.... which I
> wish to avoid... spammers are too aggressive to allow my email exposed like
> that, and I'm still unable to apply any legal remedies, despite the amount
> of laws available now.
>
> I'll just continue posting from the web site.

I recently switched from Outlook Express to Thunderbird (which I also
use with Linux as well as Windows.  And I'm using Linux right at the
moment.)

When you set up your News accounts in Thunderbird, it allows you to
specify the e-mail address that's posted.  I used my "throw-away" Yahoo
e-mail address instead of my "real" one, for exactly the reasons you
describe.  You could probably make up a false one just as easily if you
don't want ANY direct responses from the newsgroups.  (Mine *is* real,
but I seldom look at it more than every month or two...  Hmm, I guess
I'd better check it out now.  Wait a moment...  Yep, 18 in my Inbox --
all junk, 201 in Bulk, which is always nothing but spam.  Immediate
delete.)    ;-)

This is just a long-winded way to say that the automatic posting of your
e-mail address isn't really a problem with Thunderbird.  Anyway, I also
recommend using Thunderbird (or some other *real* newsreader).  It makes
things so much nicer and easier than using a Web interface.

      -=- Larry -=-