POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Block rendering : Re: Block rendering Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Block rendering
From: Warp
Date: 14 Aug 2005 14:35:38
Message: <42ff8efa@news.povray.org>
Slime <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote:
> Changing block size is a bad idea. Got it. =)

  Actually I was not talking about block sizes at all. I think Thorsten
misunderstood me (or I misunderstood someone).

  What I was talking about was that if POV-Ray started to show on the
preview window each line of each block immediately when they are
calculated, how much overhead this would cause to fast renders. (This
would be quite relevant if you are rendering a 100000-frame animation
where each frame takes 2 seconds to render.)

  Block sizes have nothing to do with this. Determining a good rendering
block size depends on other things.
  The larger the block size, the smaller the overhead caused by
antialiasing, but the higher the probability of an uneven render
(IOW the higher the risk that threads will start to idle at the end
of the render while the last blocks are still being rendered).
  And the opposite: Smaller block sizes increase the probability of
a very well-balanced render but increase the overhead introduced by
antialiasing (and secondarily other things).

--
                                                          - Warp