POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Spill : Re: Spill Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:13:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spill
From: Orchid XP v2
Date: 14 Aug 2005 04:23:50
Message: <42feff96$1@news.povray.org>
>>So... your name is Slime... and you just rendered... some slime? Is that
>>about right?
>
> Just about, I guess. =) My name actually comes from the Slime monster in
> Dragon Warrior games.

...so now you're a monster? :-|

>>Looks fantastic BTW. The surface tension, the refraction, the slight
>>opacity... Not sure I'd have waited a day though. ;-)
>

> Thanks. I started it before going to bed, let it run for the next day, and
> it was finished when I got up the day after. There's a 9x9 area light, and
> despite the adaptive keyword, I think it's doing all 81 samples for every
> pixel underneath the liquid. Not sure if I can fix that. (Bringing it down
> to 5x5 doesn't look so good, but maybe with jitter and antialiasing to
> counter the jittering...)

I did an image a while back using a 256x256 area light + radiosity. It
didn't take that long...

I have a vague feeling that "adaptive" only works properly for a power
of two - anyone confirm/deny?

Anyway... I presume the grooves are an isosurface? What about the liquid
- what's that? Does it use some kind of media?

>>What kinda system did you use to get that render time?
>

> 2.6 GHz P4 with HT, 1 GB RAM (not that the memory is necessary for this
> scene).

Mmm, OK... So not slow then. Does look good though...