POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What on earth...? [~110 KB] : The answer Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:15:05 EDT (-0400)
  The answer
From: Orchid XP v2
Date: 10 Aug 2005 14:41:34
Message: <42fa4a5e$1@news.povray.org>
Since everybody is so captivated by this [not!], I'm going to just come
out with it now.

You remember the chaos pendulum? A metal weight suspended over three
magnets. A while back I make a simulation of its path.

Well, this is 102,400 chaos pendulums, all running in parallel, but each
one started from a different initial pixel location. And each pixel is
coloured according to how close its pendulum currently is to each of the
three magnets. (The magnets are red, green and blue.) If you watch the
animation, it appears to "pulsate" due to the typical swing period of
the pendulum.

In this simulation, there is no gravity, no dissapation, and the magnets
produce linear forces. I plan to try quadratic forces next, and maybe
add some gravity. I'm expecting to find quadratic force makes the
patterns a lot more complex...

BTW, I have done animations with other colourings. Best of all was a
sky-like agate pattern that morphs to the swing. But it keeps crashing
POV-Ray. :'{