POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Saturn view from Cassinni : Re: Saturn view from Cassinni Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:16:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saturn view from Cassinni
From: Rarius
Date: 10 Aug 2005 07:36:52
Message: <42f9e6d4@news.povray.org>
>> > We'll never see the shadow from earth.
>>
>> Saturn is 9.54 AU away from the sun (Earth is 1), so the maximum possible
>> angle between our line of sight to Saturn and the incoming light
>> direction
>> on Saturn is 2*asin(.5/8) = 7.2 degrees. So it should be possible to see
>> sliver of the shadow when our orbits are in the right positions.
>>
>>  - Slime
>
> Cool!  I thought we might see a little of it with super-powerful
> telescopes
> :)

Actually....

Speaking as a amateur astronomer, I can confirm that you can see the shadow
of Saturn's rings in a reasonable sized telescope.  Slightly easier to see
is the shadow of Saturn on the rings behind it.  My 10in reflector shows
both quite easily, given good seeing conditions.

Phil
Norwich Astronomical Society