POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Knoppix and povray : Re: Knoppix and povray Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:02:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knoppix and povray
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 9 Aug 2005 23:15:09
Message: <42f9713d@news.povray.org>
Mike C wrote:
>                                              haven't you noticed how there
> isn't a pov-ray package for Debian that is any newer than 3.5?  Debian
> _does_ have a tendency to try and maintain patches and build it's own
> packages from source...

Hmm...  I primarily use RedHat Fedora, but "dabble" with other distros,
including Debian 3.1 (Sarge).  I simply downloaded the Linux POVRay
package directly from povray.org and did a normal install with that.
Version 3.6.1 installs properly and runs fine.  Although I confess I
haven't done anything more than a few test renders (from the standard
"Scene" examples), simply to verify that it does work.

Of course, I can't say anything about Knoppix, but 3.6.1 is okay with
standard Debian.

      -=- Larry -=-