POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What on earth...? [~110 KB] : Re: What on earth...? [~110 KB] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:13:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What on earth...? [~110 KB]
From: Orchid XP v2
Date: 7 Aug 2005 12:26:46
Message: <42f63646$1@news.povray.org>
>> OK, first person to figure out *what on earth* I've got POV-Ray to
>> render here will get... uh... my respect. ;-)
>>
> At least not something modeled after real life.

That's the irony of it... It *is* based on real life. (Although
admittedly not the laws of optics - which is why it doesn't *look* like
anything.)

All will be revealed... in a while.

> You have reds, greens and blues, but yellows, purple, cyan and
> other mixed colors are absent. It could be some function defined
> on the complex plane, yet I would not rule out quaternions.
>
>> Took just under 4 hours.
>>
>> The image appears... noisy. I'm really not sure why...
>
> can't help you there, I don't know what you did.

There are two possible sources for the noise.

This image is a huge grid of different coloured boxes. Each box object
is *supposed* to cover exactly 2 pixels. But if the box grid isn't quite
lined up with the pixel grid (e.g., the camera coordinates are wrong)
that might make it look noisy.

The other possibility is rounding errors. The image is iteratively
generated, so such errors would presumably collect quite quickly...