POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The freon ocean (133KB) : Re: The freon ocean (133KB) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The freon ocean (133KB)
From: Alain
Date: 5 Aug 2005 16:09:25
Message: <42f3c775$1@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen <spamnot@ nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-08-05 16:55:
> PM 2Ring spake:
>

>>Stefan Viljoen <spamnot@<removethis>polard.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi guys
>>>
>>>A cosine surface done with k3dsurf, and my very first rendering with
>>>radiosity (been around for years, o'course, I never got around to it
>>>until yesterday).
>>
>>Wow! I wish my first radiosity pic looked this good, Stefan. Well done!
>

> Thanks! Sometimes, this hobby feels like cheating - you rustle something up,
> render it and BAM! It looks nice (most of the time...) You just never know
> how it is going to come out - THAT is why I raytrace. Answer undefined!
>

>>>In flights of fancy, a freon ocean on a small planet in a distant solar
>>>system, with a twinned sun and moon.
>>
>>Is Freon really blue in bulk? Anyway, it looks nice and it does look like
>>a low density liquid to my untrained eyes. :)
>

> No idea - freon should only be liquid at quite high pressure and thus most
> likely high temperature as well (sucking my thumb a bit here - not a
> scientist, me). Maybe it will be blue? Who knows. I made it blue
> deliberately to subconciously trigger "ocean" in the viewers mind...
> Ommmmm......
>

>>>Simple planes and a standard povray sky, with a Colefax galaxy and
>>>lensflare.
>>
>>I would expect a planet with a Freon ocean to have *very* severe
>>rainstorms, as the atmosphere attempts to condense at nightfall. :) E.E
>>'Doc' Smith wrote about a planet with a hydrosphere like that, where they
>>had 40 feet of rain every night.
>

> I really don't know - IMHO at human-livable pressures and temperatures freon
> is a gas, only coalescing at "human-relative" very high pressures. I would
> expect a planet with naturally ocurring freon oceans to have quite a high
> gravity as well, and maybe be as big (or bigger than) Jupiter, for example.
> This might also imply a very hot planet (guessing here) and an absolutely
> lethal environment for an unprotected human. Percipitation seems highly
> unlikely, since that is drivent by waxing and waning solar energy (school
> geography is LONG ago) and not variations in ambient gas pressures...
>
> But anyway, thanks for the compliment and looking at my pic.
>
> Kind regards,
You CAN find some freons that are liquid at ambient presure and room temperature!
Freon is a family
on chloro-fluoro carbons, small molecules  vaporize early while big molecules stay
liquid at much
higher temperature. Just look at printed circuit boards cleaning, the washer I saw in
a documentary
had a large sliding transparent pannel that was hand closed over the component to be
cleaned! It
looked hardly airtight, it was more like a splash guard.
Anyway, you don't want to go on any planet that have freon oceants, whatever that
passes as "air"
will not be breathable.

Alain