POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The freon ocean (133KB) : Re: The freon ocean (133KB) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:13:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The freon ocean (133KB)
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 5 Aug 2005 14:53:12
Message: <42f3b597@news.povray.org>
PM 2Ring spake:

> Stefan Viljoen <spamnot@<removethis>polard.com> wrote:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> A cosine surface done with k3dsurf, and my very first rendering with
>> radiosity (been around for years, o'course, I never got around to it
>> until yesterday).
>
> Wow! I wish my first radiosity pic looked this good, Stefan. Well done!

Thanks! Sometimes, this hobby feels like cheating - you rustle something up,
render it and BAM! It looks nice (most of the time...) You just never know
how it is going to come out - THAT is why I raytrace. Answer undefined!

>> In flights of fancy, a freon ocean on a small planet in a distant solar
>> system, with a twinned sun and moon.
>
> Is Freon really blue in bulk? Anyway, it looks nice and it does look like
> a low density liquid to my untrained eyes. :)

No idea - freon should only be liquid at quite high pressure and thus most
likely high temperature as well (sucking my thumb a bit here - not a
scientist, me). Maybe it will be blue? Who knows. I made it blue
deliberately to subconciously trigger "ocean" in the viewers mind...
Ommmmm......

>> Simple planes and a standard povray sky, with a Colefax galaxy and
>> lensflare.
>
> I would expect a planet with a Freon ocean to have *very* severe
> rainstorms, as the atmosphere attempts to condense at nightfall. :) E.E
> 'Doc' Smith wrote about a planet with a hydrosphere like that, where they
> had 40 feet of rain every night.

I really don't know - IMHO at human-livable pressures and temperatures freon
is a gas, only coalescing at "human-relative" very high pressures. I would
expect a planet with naturally ocurring freon oceans to have quite a high
gravity as well, and maybe be as big (or bigger than) Jupiter, for example.
This might also imply a very hot planet (guessing here) and an absolutely
lethal environment for an unprotected human. Percipitation seems highly
unlikely, since that is drivent by waxing and waning solar energy (school
geography is LONG ago) and not variations in ambient gas pressures...

But anyway, thanks for the compliment and looking at my pic.

Kind regards,
--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician / Programmer