POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Does size matter ? : Re: Does size matter ? Server Time
4 May 2024 22:40:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does size matter ?
From: Ross
Date: 4 Aug 2005 17:04:59
Message: <42f282fb$1@news.povray.org>
"Bernard Hatt" <bmh### [at] arkadydemoncouk> wrote in message

> Looking at the 1st few drafts of my Minimalism entry it looks
> like it will jpeg compress very well (as I suspect a lot of
> entries will).
>
> Currently the image (1024x768) will fit under the 250k limit
> using a jpeg quality setting of 99!, so I could probably enter
> an image at a reasonable compression of 2k*1k5, or even 3k*2k
> pixels, but is this too big ?
>
> I will probably be doing a 3k*2k render in order to get a nice
> printout anyway ...
>
> Bernard

probably. there are guidelines that suggest staying below a certain size
since judges are just normal people with normal sized monitors. As a viewer,
I always get a better feel for an image if it fits on the screen. i think
you need to ask yourself, what are the benefits of a larger render? are
there details that will be missed with a normal size render?