POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : area_light vs pointlight grid : Re: area_light vs pointlight grid Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: area_light vs pointlight grid
From: Sebastian H
Date: 4 Aug 2005 09:06:40
Message: <42f212e0$1@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes wrote:
> "Sebastian H." <van### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
>
>>Bob Hughes wrote:
>>
>>>The desktop reflection, or rather highlighting, of the light object might
>>>be
>>>the most dramatic change of all. Seems to be a slight change in the
>>>shadow
>>>at the base, too, although I don't notice any difference in the sphere's
>>>shadow.
>>>

>>Interesting.
>>I let gimp calculate the difference image
>>(pixel that differ are bright).
>>As you said the shadow isn't affected (as expected).
>

> Looks like the light spread, or diffusion, on the desktop nearest the source
> is quite different-- if I read this image right (darker least changed,
> lighter most changed).

Right. There is a greater color difference between the two images
in bright areas.

> Maybe that's why I thought the shadow there might be
> different. I like how this shows zones of no change between the rest of it,
> showing as rings of blackness.

Yeah, interesting indeed.
I like (if this is of value in this image at all)
the bright ring behing the light source.
It shows that the outer areas are be much brighter with multiple
light sources whereas the center color does not differ much.
Probably because of the colormodel used in the image (24bit rgb).
The center color cannot have more brightness than maximum brightness in
rgb model.

Sebastian