POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : tenth planet rendition called Morpheus [~52KB JPG] : Re: "new" planetoid Morpheus 1600x1200 res [~504KB JPG] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:14:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "new" planetoid Morpheus 1600x1200 res [~504KB JPG]
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 3 Aug 2005 12:59:09
Message: <42f0f7dd@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote in message

> http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050725/pf/050725-13_pf.html
>
> About another planetoid with compagnon, dubbed Santa and little helper.
>
> Another exciting story can be found here:
> http://news.nature.com//news/2005/050711/050711-6.html
>
> A solar system with three suns.
> I am not sure if you can read these documents as they come with a (free)
> subscription...

Yep, I could read the stories there. Thanks for sharing the link to there,
Thomas. I needed to search for the three suns story since I didn't see that
on that web page. I used to be interested in multiple stars back when I went
to the U of W.

I came across that Santa one while looking for info on the new planet. I
only knew of at least one other kind like it found in the asteroid belt from
some time ago, something that seemed a fluke when I first heard of it.
Apparently there are many such small planetoids/asteroids though.

Going waaaayyy OT now:

They have a story about the supposedly extinct ivory-billed woodpecker
there. I reported, what I thought to be one, back in May (on the 8th), to
Cornell's ornithology people; was seen flying over the road I live on, after
I left here, late one morning.

I had only seen the similar pileated woodpeckers a few times before so I was
both surprised and suspicious of it being either kind at the instant it
appeared. The head and "ivory-bill" was what caught my attention more than
anything else. Was merely a week since I saw the story told on CNN and I
kept thinking I must be influenced by that, especially since that was the
first and only time I've ever even seen a (pileated?) woodpecker fly across
a road in front of my car. Although I've been looking out for anything and
the pileated's are around my home more than I ever imagined. The proverbial
phrase "you should get out more", right? LOL

If you know the story about these ivory-billed woodpeckers, as I later
learned, they are said to be extremely shy and reclusive. That made me think
I was mistaken. Thing of it is, that beak (or bill) was a bright solid
yellow-white color, like new pine lumber as I described it to Cornell and
others. I asked around if pileateds can ever look that way (Cornell just
gave me a link to their description/comparison web page) but it seems they
always have grayish bills. I searched with google images and not only do all
the pictures seem to show them to be shades of gray (or black to light gray)
but also smaller looking to me. This bird I saw, if pileated woodpecker,
would have had to have dipped its bill into vanilla ice cream-colored paint
to look the way it did. Very yellow vanilla. Either that or tree pollen, but
that didn't seem to relate because I got a good look at it as the car drew
closer before it disappeared into the woods again and it was like seeing a
pointy goose bill.

Well, I just did a quick search again of google images, trying to find a
similar beak or bill on any bird and a real good one came up:

http://www.wildlife-pictures-online.com/yellowbilled-stork_knp-5058.html

So... that's how it looked, similar in shape and color, just not size. As
far as it being a woodpecker, well, it was a twin to the pileated
woodpeckers if nothing else.

I still find it hard to believe, but I can't figure any other explanation.
The sun was just about right to cause a glint off it but I saw it so well
that I had to rule that out. There is a large wildlife refuge within a mile
of here, which has some areas similar to the ivory-billed's habititat when
last known to exist. Interestingly, the refuge areas are also a product of
the TVA river dams (on Tennessee River) built in the 1930's, 1940's... about
the time the "extinction" status was being determined.

I understand if no one else could believe it was such a rare bird here, so
far from the accepted region they are likely to be at. Only thing for me to
believe it myself is the sight of that beak! Not much to go on really. I'd
have needed one of those police car video recorders going to have any
evidence.

Bob