POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : bug or am I silly? : Re: bug or am I silly? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:24:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bug or am I silly?
From: pentahall
Date: 1 Aug 2005 21:38:28
Message: <42eece94$1@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] spamcom> wrote in message news:42edd2f4@news.povray.org...
> Hall wrote:
> > using pov-ray 3.6.1 for windows on windows XP...
> > Should I be seeing the banding produced in this minimal scene file?
> > (Is this a limitation of POV's precision, or a bug?  banding is
> > stronger in original bmp of picture)
> >
> > camera { location <-4,4,-4> look_at <0,0,0> right <1,0,0> up <0,1,0> }
> > light_source { <1,1,-1> color rgb 1 }
> > plane { <0,1,0>, 0 pigment{color rgb 1} }
> >
> > and result....
>
> What monitor do you have?  Some old/cheap LCDs only do interpolated 18-bit
> colour rather than true 24-bit.  If it's quoted as being able to display
> 16.2 million colours, it's 18-bit, true 24-bit is 16.7 million colours.
On
> this pattern the interpolation your monitor is doing might be more
visible.
> Have you tried doing a gradient in another program, like powerpoint?

I see this banding on the two computers we have---both are using crt
monitors and are running in 32 bit (true color mode)....
In PSP when doing a pure gray gradient, the banding is also visible....but
when doing pure red or blue or green, the banding is not visible.
I agree, as was said by some others, this is a limitation of  the 24 bit
nature of true color displays...will stick to using more color in pictures
from now on...if I ever get a system capable of 48 bit color display, then I
will try working with pure greyscale pictures again.

hexhall