POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : bug or am I silly? : Re: bug or am I silly? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bug or am I silly?
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 1 Aug 2005 19:17:57
Message: <42eeada5@news.povray.org>
Hall wrote:
> using pov-ray 3.6.1 for windows on windows XP...
> Should I be seeing the banding produced in this minimal scene file?
> (Is this a limitation of POV's precision, or a bug?  banding is stronger in
> original bmp of picture)

Fredrick's got it right. The banding is natural for this kind of image
at 24-bit precision, as you effectively only have 8 bits of pure gray to
work with.

Outputting at 48 bits and then dithering down in another app (probably
GIMP or Photoshop) should help reduce the banding; it will also make
your image a bit grainy, but it shouldn't be visibly so. Alternately,
introducing more noise or color to the scene, or adding noise in
post-processing, should eliminate the banding.

-Xplo