POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : tenth planet rendition called Morpheus [~52KB JPG] : Re: Morpheus again... for wallpaper [~560KB JPG] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:27:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Morpheus again... for wallpaper [~560KB JPG]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 1 Aug 2005 03:06:29
Message: <42edc9f5@news.povray.org>
"Bob Hughes" <omniverse@charter%net> schreef in bericht
news:42eca239@news.povray.org...
> I reworked the surface, starry background and sun. Not necessarily for the
> better, unfortunately. Looking over the first version I really like the
> lumpy, melted ice cream look of it.
>
> This one has conventional cratering mixed in, practically obliterating
> previous appearance. That's mainly because I made a mistake in the
> isosurface before but I've also added layered textures with very
> small-scaled normals this time, too. Yeah, mistakes can be good, if you
> agree with me that the first picture looked okay.
>
> Rendered this at a resolution for wallpaper and thought maybe someone else
> would like to see it at this size.

The Sun is OK, I think. I prefer a simulated view through human eyes, as it
were, to simulated exposure film.
The surface is not worse or better than the previous render, it is
different, and both are credible, imho.
In any case, it is much better than most of the artists' views we see,
including NASA's.

Thomas