POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : "You people work like this?" revisited. : "You people work like this?" revisited. Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:08:03 EDT (-0400)
  "You people work like this?" revisited.
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 31 Jul 2005 08:41:08
Message: <42ecc6e4$1@news.povray.org>
I saw on a forum for a command-line MPG generation tool where some kid was
giving the syntax he uses, and it must have been four lines of text!   No
way that bloke is typing it out each time. I'm betting he has his most
popularly-used syntax stored in some text editor.

I've tried some of the GUI editors for povray like Pyvon and QTPOV.  They
have their strengths. I have however figured out a way to get most of the
old Windows GUI look and feel to my povray experience on my own:

1) Edit scene files in Kedit, with a separate window open for each scene
file you're currently thinking about.

2) Keep a "huh.ini" file open with an ini file that does things like declare
your input file, your output file name, +W +H, etc.   The beauty here is you
can comment out some not-infrequently used commands (like your animation
setup) with a ";" so you don't have to retype them next time.

3) Open a shell. Your command-line command may simply then be:  "povray
huh.ini" .   If you're doing multiple renders in a sitting, subsequent
renders can be invoked via hitting the up arrow and enter.

There are actually strengths to *this* setup over perhaps even the windows
GUI.   Perhaps I was too clueless to imagine this setup right off the bat.
I'm actually guessing that not too many of you are actually going *pure*
command line day in day out, perhaps even using "vi".  But I'm wondering if
someone were to have suggested this setup to me when I started griping about
the lack of GUI   that I would have been satisfied much earlier.