POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : darker images, and some other problems in my test renders : Re: darker images, and some other problems in my test renders Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:29:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: darker images, and some other problems in my test renders
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 30 Jul 2005 22:49:53
Message: <42ec3c51$1@news.povray.org>
"Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailbestwebmailcom> wrote in message

>>  Focal blur already takes long to render without anti-aliasing, but with
>> anti-aliasing on it takes even longer.
>
> But I have a 3 GHz computer, I tried the camera/focalblur.pov scene
> *without* antialias at 160x120, I got no pixel in 5 minutes (I stopped the
> render after that time). I just rendered the whole image in a 800x600
> resolution using POV-Ray 3.6.1 (no antialias, of course) and it took 31
> seconds.
>
> Appart from that, once I start the render in 3.7, if I stop it, POV-Ray
> hangs! I'm using the 32 bit version. (let me ask, what is SSE?)

SSE is Streaming SIMD (Single Instruction Multiple Data) Extensions; which
means processing more than one thing at a time, as simply as I understand
it.

I checked that focalblur.pov and the same thing happened here. Stopping the
render doesn't stop POV from using 99% of the CPU and when it finally closes
it pops up a box with the following:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: Program Files\POV-Ray for Windows v3.6\bin\pvengine*.exe

way.

* happens with both the 3.7 beta 7 or the sse2.

XP HE SP2; Intel P4-M 2.0GHz