POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Old telephone 2 (64k) : Re: Old telephone 2 (64k) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:27:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old telephone 2 (64k)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 30 Jul 2005 19:40:50
Message: <42ec1002$1@news.povray.org>
I like old telephones-- heck, I like lots of old stuff!

I think the "fork" is almost always called a cradle in the USA, even on
modern phones. Not that I'm 100% certain or anything.

The phone seems to have a bakelite look to it, and I guess most old phones
were either bakelite or metal (brass or nickel plating) and wood.

This rendering probably will need blacker blacks and more reflective metals
to be more accurate to real life. I'm seeing it here as shades of gray.

Um, wait... sorry! I tilted my LCD screen and they look black enough if I
look directly perpendicular to the screen. I keep forgetting that. Still
think the reflections should be more mirror-like. Those dials seem made of
shiney gray plastic, although almost metallic. Could be my own perception of
them. I realize it's easy to think reflection can be overpowering if
mirror-like because I tend to tone it down all the time myself. Something I
always find myself struggling with. Reflections are often not perceived too
well since they aren't a part of the actual object. Got something chrome or
polished steel in the kitchen? You'll see what I mean if you take a look at
something to compare. Use no diffuse (zero, or nearly zero) in the finish.

Something I'm not too sure of about such a telephone is the cord.
Cloth-covered cords were common on old phones. Possibly for these kind, too.

About the switch... maybe this kind would have a plunger in the center,
within the pedestal piece? Wouldn't see it then, if so. And I was thinking
about what Przemek said about the cord attachment. It probably wouldn't need
anything visible on the outside. I searched for photos of something similar
to your rendered model and didn't have any luck but did find one like the
old telephone I have and it's cord is apparently identical:

http://www.emediawire.com/prfiles/2004/07/07/139717/mod302.jpg

Bob Hughes