POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Island In The Evening : Re: Island In The Evening Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Island In The Evening
From: Jim Charter
Date: 26 Jul 2005 10:03:41
Message: <42e642bd$1@news.povray.org>
Kyle wrote:
> Two days with no comments = I must not be doing minimalism.  ;-)
>
> Anyone?

Hi, I think it is an oddly attractive image but I can't put my finger on
quite why.  The "atmosphere" is very pleasing, stemming I think from the
dark silvery tones of the composition overall.  The style and execution
has a naive, primitive quality rather than high photo-realism, which
adds a lot of charm. Yet in subliminal ways, the picture feels very
real. Mentally the viewer can enter it. I think this is much because of
your pictorial economy of means. For instance, you use the sky and fog
in a simple way to convey a lot of realism. The palms are a bit stylized
but you use their bending silhouettes to great effect.  Having said all
that, I find the moon to be a huge anomaly.

So you see, it is a tricky picture to comment on. I am left unsure as to
whether I have complimented you or offended you :( because it is not
clear yet where you are trying to take the picture.  Not your fault,
just "one of those things," and may in part explain the dirth of comments.

-Jim